With early diagnosis boosting the chances of beating mouth cancer from 50 to 90 per cent, local people across Bradford, Airedale, Wharfedale and Craven are being asked to check their mouths and seek advice during Mouth Cancer Action Month, 1 to 30 November 2023.
Nadiya Suida Clinical Director with Bradford District Care NHS Foundation Trust’s Community Dental Service explains: “Potential signs of mouth cancer include a mouth ulcer that does not heal within three weeks, red or white patches in the mouth and unusual lumps or swellings in the mouth or head and neck area. It’s important to be aware of any changes occurring inside your mouth and get checked out.”
To help people do just that, the Care Trust’s Oral Health Team is holding a series of events offering free advice and mouth cancer screening, as well as dental advice and a free toothbrush this month:
- Tuesday 14 November, 11.00am – 3.00pm, Bevan House, 14 Piccadilly, Bradford, BD1 3LS
- Tuesday 14 November, 11.00am – 3.00pm, Airedale Shopping Centre, Hannover Street, Keighley BD21 3QQ
- Thursday 16 November, 11.00am – 3.00pm Broadway Shopping Centre, 20 Broadway, Bradford BD1 1EY
- Monday 20 November, 2.00pm – 4.00pm, Bevan House, 14 Piccadilly, Bradford, BD1 3LS
- Tuesday 21 November, 11.00am – 12.00pm, Eden Community Association Warm Space Women’s Group, First Floor Keighley Civic Centre, North Street, Keighley, BD21 3RZ
“Statistics show us that men over 55 are particularly at risk, especially if they smoke and drink, but mouth cancer can affect anyone,” says Nadiya.
“That’s why we want to encourage anyone who’s able to pop along to one of our events to say hello to our friendly team and get checked.”
The team will be easily recognisable, sporting the blue lips that have become associated with the mouth cancer awareness campaign.
Last year 8864 people in the UK were diagnosed with mouth cancer with 3034 people lost their life to the disease. For more information contact the Oral Health Improvement Team on 01274 259084/259085 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.