A total of 36 people were arrested during protests on Sunday, 7 June for offences including violent disorder, criminal damage and assaulting police.

A large number of people joined demonstrations that were largely peaceful and left central London after the event.

However, a number remained in the area around Whitehall and behaved antisocially before becoming violent towards officers.

Police used a variety of tactics including containment to tackle several violent and antisocial groups before dispersing the final protesters at around 02:00hrs on Monday, 8 June.

By the early hours of today 35 officers reported suffering injuries. Two of these officers required hospital treatment, one after suffering a head wound and the second with a shoulder injury after a bottle was thrown.

Investigations are under way into a number of incidents including criminal damage to a statue, and other sites and buildings of national importance – officers are seeking to identify those responsible.

Commissioner Cressida Dick said: “In recent days a minority of protesters sought confrontation with police leading to many officers being injured, including several seriously.

“When officers sought to protect colleagues and iconic landmarks they faced further obstruction and sustained assault.

“The violent criminality we saw is disgraceful and will have been very frightening for others. It will never be acceptable to attack police officers, damage property and leave others in fear of their safety. We will be carrying out a thorough investigation so that those responsible for criminal acts are brought speedily to justice.

“Furthermore, those attending mass gatherings risk exposing themselves and others to this deadly virus and I would ask them to find other ways to express their anger and frustration.

“Policing is always complex and challenging, and right now that is the case more than ever.

“I am very proud of the work my officers are carrying out to reassure our communities and to keep the streets of our capital safe and calm.”