Parents need to apply for primary school places this week
Parents and carers of children in the Bradford district who are set to start primary school in September this year are being reminded to apply for a school place this week.
People whose children were born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013 have until midnight on Sunday 15 January to submit their application for their child’s primary school place.
Bradford Council has written to all parents whose children are on their database with information on how to apply online. Parents and carers can log onto the online system, register their details and make their child’s application. They will not require any further information to apply online but may need to send the local authority address proof or additional information if they have recently moved house.
Applying online is safe and makes the application quicker and easier. All parents who applied online will be emailed about their child’s place on the national offer day on 16 April.
To make the application process as simple as possible and give parents and carers the best chance of sending their child to a preferred school, Bradford Council is suggesting five key steps to take:
1. Make sure you check the criteria that your preferred schools set for admissions. You can do this by visiting each schools website or reading the Guide for Parents, available online at www.bradford.gov.uk/
2. Read the guidelines set out in the Applying for Primary School booklet sent to parents in November.
3. Fully complete the on-line application form using all five preferences and fill in any required Supplementary Information Forms, by the deadline.
4. Make sure that you submit your application before the end of January 15 2017.
5. Only submit one application – do not apply online from multiple email addresses.
Coun Imran Khan Executive Member for Education, Skills and Culture, said: "Starting primary school is a big step for every family. We try to make the application process as simple as it can be. The easiest way of applying is to do so online.
“To give your child the best chance we strongly recommend parents choose five preferences. If you only apply for one school, you will only be considered for that school and will be wasting the opportunity to be considered for any others if that one is full.
“Its also important that parents check out the admissions criteria of the schools they are applying for so that they understand their child’s chances of getting a place there.”
Parents who do not have an email address and are unable to apply online can contact Bradford Council’s Admissions Team on 01274 439200. If parents have an email address but are experiencing issues, they can contact the team to make an online application at Margaret McMillan Tower with an officer.
Applications after the deadline will have to be made on a paper form as the online system will be closed.
If parents and carers have any queries, they can visit the Council’s website www.bradford.gov.uk/
• Email primaryadmissions@
• Call the School Admissions Team on 01274 439200