MARK ZUCKERBERG: Facebook now has nearly 2 billion users and has decided to give them the best experience on their site by weeding out clickbait
Facebook announced on Thursday that its News Feed will show fewer ‘clickbait’ headlines over the next few weeks, as it seeks to establish itself as the prime web destination for news and social updates.
It’s a potentially huge move, and one that makes journalism better for everyone involved.
The company receives thousands of complaints a day about clickbait - headlines that intentionally withhold information or mislead users to get people to click on them. In other words, the headlines we all cringe at - but can’t help clicking anyway.
In an effort to eliminate clickbait from the site, Facebook created an algorithm that identifies and classifies such headlines.
It can then determine which pages or web domains post large amounts of clickbait and rank them lower in News Feed.
Articles with transparent, informative headlines will now show up higher on your feed, while potential clickbait will be listed lower.
It’s worth noting that Facebook isn’t filtering out individual clickbait posts, but rather ranking complete Pages and domains based on their overall tendency towards opaque headlines.
Facebook routinely updates its algorithm for News Feed, the place most people see postings on the site, to show users what they are most interested in and encourage them to spend even more time on the site.
The 1.7 billion-person site has worked to better communicate how it shows news and posts to users in recent months, after a May news report alleged liberal political bias in a Facebook feature called Trending Topics.
The system looks for commonly used phrases in clickbait headlines, similar to how filters for email spam work, Facebook said in a blog post.
It categorized tens of thousands of headlines as clickbait by looking for headlines that intentionally withheld information and those that exaggerated the content of an article.
OFFENSIVE: Tory councillor Dominic Peacock posted an offensive Facebook post online about the Jo Cox memorial fund
Tory councillor suspended over 'steam off p***' comments
Police have cautioned a former Tory councillor over an offensive Facebook post about the fund set up in memory of murdered Jo Cox.
60-year-old Dominic Peacock was interviewed by police before being cautioned under section five of the Public Order Act – for causing harassment, alarm or distress.
Last month, the East Riding Council member for Minster and Woodmansey posted: “I've just donated the steam from my p***” on a Facebook link to an appeal for donations to causes supported by the late Batley and Spen MP.
Soon after making the objectionable post, Peacock wrote in a local Remain in Europe Facebook group: “I've deleted my offensive comment, I shouldn't have put it on in the first place. I won't make excuses.”
He was later expelled from the Tory group, whose leader Cllr Stephen Parnaby, who is also council leader, said he would ask the group to make a donation to the fund.
An online petition has now been launched to remove Peacock from his positions as a district councillor and town councillor.
The GoFundMe page, which has been set up in celebration and memory of the Batley and Spen MP has nearly reached its £1.5 million target.
A Facebook post that has gone viral has depicted the moment a Muslim woman in niqab was challenged for not speaking English.
Tom Bradbury, a 26-year-old events organiser, wrote the post which has been shared over 16,000 times.
In the status update he relayed the incident describing how a Muslim woman was playing with her toddler son, speaking to him in a different language while on a rail replacement service between Newport and Cwmbran, in Wales.
Tom described how she was subsequently confronted by a fellow passenger who said, “When you’re in the UK you should really be speaking English.”
Tom wrote, “At which point, an old woman in front of him turns around and [said], ‘she's in Wales. And she's speaking Welsh’.”
After his post went viral, Tom said that he was ‘surprised’ to hear the angry passenger ‘come out and say something like that so directly’.
The instigator, Tom continued, ‘seemed to shrivel up a little bit and mumble something to himself, but stayed quiet afterwards’.
Tom said he has heart lots of ‘similar stories from various places’ but that it doesn’t surprise him at all.
“I'm sure similar things have happened all over the world where ignorant people get called out," he added.
Mr T’s in Bradford isn’t named after The A-Team star but it certainly has an A-star menu that covers all the favourites; from Parmesans that ooze with cheese to lightly crisp fish and chips.
Tauseef, the owner, has been in the restaurant business for over a decade. He is ‘the’ Mr T.
Like all famous restaurants, there’s an iconic signature dish which gets people talking.
The Ivy in London serves unbelievably soft soufflés; Nobu is proud of its miso-marinated black cod...and for those who live near Great Horton Road in Bradford, it’s Mr T’s shake stacks that gets the locals queuing up outside and Instagrammers sharing their shakes across cyberspace.
“I first saw the idea in Australia,” explains Tauseef, “and it was causing quite a stir. I’ve taken what I’ve seen over there and put my own twist on the milkshake.”
The ‘twist’ that Tauseef is talking about is melt-in-the-mouth cakes, cooked up fresh every day, which sit atop a flamboyantly decorated jar.
Asian Express tried the ‘Salted Caramel’ flavour. Out came the shake stack, a real pulmonary-pounding pudding if ever we saw one, but for this dessert we’d risk it all.
The jar of splendour was covered with a contrast of smooth chocolate, a light dusting of nuts and a handful of salty pretzels for added crunch.
A marriage of savoury peanut butter with gorgeous toffee bits transformed our mouths into eager trapdoors, as the sticky caramel slipped down in a landslide of lusciousness.
Mr T’s cake was so sublime and moreish, it stopped all conversation in its tracks as we wolfed the whole jar down with reckless abandon.
“The other day I checked Facebook and there’s about 500 people talking about these beauties,” Tauseef added.
‘Stack’ that up to 502 now, Mr T, as you’ve got two new fans that are shakin’ with foodie happiness at the Asian Express!
Bollywood star, Akshay Kumar, went onto Facebook to thank his fans for helping him reach 8 million followers on his official social media fan page.
The Khiladi star showed his gratitude to his fans by saying: ‘Another month and another million! Can’t say anything but thank you J Loads of love to all 8 million Akkians. Love and Prayers, Akshay’
This time last year, #Akshay2000crore was trending on Twitter when he took to the micro blogging site to thank his fans for reaching 2000 crores. Fans are continuing to congratulate Akshay, on both Twitter and Facebook, on his well-deserved achievements for Indian cinema on both Twitter and Facebook.
Akshay who is currently shooting for his upcoming movie Gabbar has again set the bar for more generations!