A family man, who suffered a cardiac arrest whilst playing football with friends last year, has said he was ‘delighted’ to see the sport facility install their own defibrillator following his serious incident.
42-year-old Tair Bashir, from Rotherham, collapsed in December after struggling to breathe at the city’s Lucozade Power League premises.
For 20 minutes his teammates, Amir Afzal, of Duke Street Medical Centre, and Mehrban Ghani, of White Rose Medical Practice, heroically performed CPR non-stop on their friend whilst fellow GP, Ashrif Akram, held the head of Mr Bashir.
The Rotherham man is now recovering at home and still has at least four weeks left on a cardio-rehabilitation programme before he can contemplate going back to work.
Yet it could have been much worse for Mr Bashir had it not been for the knowledge of his friends who he thanks for saving his life.
“If these guys hadn’t exerted the efforts that they did, if they had decided to quit five minutes sooner, I don’t know what would have happened and I may not be here now,” he said following the incident.
Earlier this month, Mr Bashir paid a visit to the premises for the first time since his incident and said he was encouraged to see progressive steps being made.
He added: “It’s great to see that they have finally got one (defibrillator) and I popped up the other day to see it for myself.
“Hopefully they will never have to use it but it is important to have it there.
“Personally I think they should be more common place because at the end of the day it can save somebody’s life so it isn’t really any different to something like a fire extinguisher.
“I’ve been looking on the internet and there are petitions out there asking government to legislate that public places have defibrillators which is an encouraging thing to see.”
Alex Tarratt, manager of the Sheffield Power League, said he was more than happy to install the device and hoped other places would follow suit.
He said: “After Tair’s cardiac arrest we decided that it would only be beneficial to have defibrillator on site so if an incident like this does happen again we are prepared.
“I would urge other venues to do the same because if something as small as this could save a life then it is a very worthy investment.”