A pregnant woman in Birmingham, discovered a dead lizard floating inside of a can of tomatoes as she was cooking a for her husband and 15-month-old son at their home in Alum Rock Road.
Sanam Hussain, who is seven months pregnant, reportedly began screaming after she saw the creature. Her husband Muhammad Hussain ran into the kitchen to find the lizard floating around.
“My wife was making lunch for me and our 15-month-old son. When she opened the can, she saw something and screamed at me to come through. I saw it was a dead baby lizard,” Hussain said.
“We are worried about food poisoning. The can was part of a pack of 12. We had already eaten seven of them. Now my wife is off her food. I think we have been put off tinned tomatoes for life.”
Mrs. Hussain says she immediately felt sick when she saw the lizard. “It was disgusting. I am in shock. I am so worried about my baby because I am pregnant. I talked to my midwife about it and she said if I feel ill, I should contact the hospital.”
Hussain says he purchased the tomato cans at Masala Bazaar, which is an Asian supermarket owned by Euro Foods. Euro Foods has reportedly contacted its Italian supplier to investigate how the lizard got into the cans.
“This is a major concern,” the company said. “We are in touch with the family and are going to collect the offending can and have it analysed to see at what stage of the process the lizard got introduced. Once we have investigated, we will put in controls to stop this happening again.”