The signs you are trustworthy have been revealed – and include never being late, not cancelling plans at the last minute and being able to keep secrets.
Researchers who polled 2,000 adults identified the indicators someone can be relied upon – with being a good listener and a tendency to help others featuring on the list.
Someone who is self-aware, calm-headed, not judgemental, and always there when you need them is also likely to be worthy of trust.
Being respectful of boundaries is important too, as is adhering to the rules rather than breaking them.
Commissioned by technical outdoor brand Helly Hansen, as part of its ‘trust is earned’ campaign, the study found the typical adult trusts seven people.
But four in 10 think recent events have shown who is truly trustworthy, with 85 per cent of adults consider themselves to be trustworthy people.
But those polled claimed to have had their trust broken on an average of 14 occasions since they became an adult.
This might explain why more than half find it difficult to trust other people and also why seven in 10 think once their trust has been broken it can never be restored.
However, a quarter said recent events have made them more willing to let bygones be bygones and forgive, while one in 10 believe they’ve become more trusting this year.
But, the study found a whopping 90 per cent agree trust is earned.
It also identified the most trustworthy people in society – with health professionals, namely doctors and nurses, coming out on top.
Those who work in fire and rescue came second, while dentists were third.
TOP 30 SIGNS OF TRUST
- They are reliable
- They aren’t manipulative
- They don’t share things said in confidence with others
- They are consistent in their behaviour
- They have integrity
- Their words and behaviour match up
- They haven’t broken your trust before
- They respect boundaries
- They listen to you
- You know them very well
- They are considerate towards you
- They are willing to help
- They are considerate towards others
- They have been in your life for a long time
- They are authentic
- They don’t cancel plans last minute
- They aren’t judgemental
- They tend to be rational
- They trust you
- They are transparent
- They don’t have a temper
- They give you emotional support
- They are calm-headed
- They follow the rules
- They don’t go AWOL for days at a time and are there when you need them
- They resolve conflict in a healthy way
- They have self-awareness
- They are never late
- They make a positive difference to society /help others
- You share their principles