Ecstasy use is becoming an increasingly worrying problem among teenagers with tablets being pressed into funky, appealing shapes like Darth Vader, R2D2 and Mickey Mouse, a drugs expert has warned.
The pills, which are becoming more and more frequently marketed with child-friendly logos, recently resulted in the hospitalisation of three 12-year-old girls in Greater Manchester who took ‘teddy tablets’.
It is thought the girls are among the youngest people in the UK to have become very unwell after taking the drug.
Police officers believe that the girls consumed the tablets after mixing them with a bottle of fizzy drink.
Officers were called to Salford Precinct on Saturday night amid reports a girl was overdosing and later found her two friends.
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Walker said he hopes they will make “a full recovery.”
He said: “Sadly, three more young people, who are only 12-years-old, have taken ecstasy and ended up in hospital.
“I am really concerned that children are now coming into contact with controlled drugs and they are now taking them on the streets of Salford.”
He added: “It is imperative young people understand the implications and avoid taking drugs, to stop any more young people ending up in hospital.”
The three girls are now in a stable condition and police are investigating how they got hold of the tablets.
A 22-year-old man and 21-year-old woman were arrested and questioned but both have now been bailed until 15th July.
Last month, 17-year-old Faye Allen, from Liverpool, died after suffering an adverse reaction to a super strong ‘MasterCard’ ecstasy pill at the Victoria Warehouse nightclub in Manchester.
Two people arrested in connection with her death are on bail.