VIOLENT: Samir Hussain hit the complainant numerous times around the head and body with a rounders bat
VIOLENT: Samir Hussain hit the complainant numerous times around the head and body with a rounders bat

A Batley man will go to prison for more than five years after he attacked a relative in the street with a rounders bat.

27-year-old Samir Hussain came across Mohammed Yaqoob by chance on the street in Mount Pleasant, Dewsbury and a family dispute erupted into violence.

The broad daylight incident happened in March 2016.

Bradford Crown Court heard this week that Mr Yaqoob had his young son in his car when Hussain overtook him in a works van and stopped in front of their vehicle.

Prosecutor Dave Mackay told the court that Hussain went over to the complainant’s car intending to speak to him about the dispute, but after Mr Yaqoob poked him in the stomach with a small rounders bat the defendant took if off him and struck him ‘numerous times’ to the head and body.

Even when Mr Yaqoob was on the ground, the prosecutor said the attack with the bat continued.

It only ended when members of the public shouted at Hussain to stop.

Mr Yaqoob suffered a fractured left forearm and an open fracture to his left leg after the fight.

It is understood that Mr Yaqoob had to have a metal plate inserted in his leg during surgery at hospital and he also had cuts to his head.

After the assault, Mr Yaqoob told police that his nephew, Samir, had done it, but after his arrest Hussain claimed that he had only struck the complainant a few times in self defence.

Hussain, of Dark Lane, Batley, had been due to stand trial today but he admitted a charge of causing Mr Yaqoob grievous bodily harm with intent.

Barrister Amanda Johnson, for Hussain, said he had expressed genuine remorse for the offence and she explained that he had lost his temper in a ‘moment of madness’ after being provoked.

Jailing Hussain for five years, recorder Richard Woolfall said he had pleaded guilty to a very serious allegation and it was clear that there was history to the incident which happened on 14th March this year.

As part of the sentence, Recorder Woolfall set an indefinite restraining order which banned Hussain from contacting Mr Yaqoob directly or indirectly and he is also prohibited from going to the street where he lives in Staincliffe.