232 dead as rebel troops attempt takeover
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has confirmed that he is ready to reinstate the death penalty following the failed military coup earlier this month.
Almost 9,000 police officers were dismissed following the surprise rebellion, whilst 6,000 military personnel have been arrested and almost 3,000 judges suspended.
At least 232 civilians were killed in the conflict and over 1,400 wounded as they fought rebel troops.
Speaking on Monday, President Erdogan said those responsible had to be held accountable for their actions and would be willing to bring back capital punishment if the people want it and legislation is approved.
The death penalty was abolished in Turkey in 2004 as the nation bid to become a member of the European Union.
“You cannot put aside the people’s demands,” he said.
“Today is there no capital punishment in America? In Russia? In China? In countries around the world? Only in European Union countries is there no capital punishment.”
Turkey’s military has long seen itself as the defender of the country’s secular traditions with leaders being critical of Erdogan and his AK Party for their roots in Islam.
During the attempted takeover of the country, military took control of the TRT state television, where an announcer was made to read a statement accusing the government of eroding the ‘democratic and secular rule of law’.
Claims have now been made that the failed coup will allow Erdogan to begin the implementation of his desired presidential system based on Islamic values.
He has previously said that he wants to see “the growth of a religious generation” to replace the currently established secular domination in Turkey.