“We could have been killed”


Leave a Comment
SHOCKED: Babita Thukral, and her two children, one-year-old Varun, and Bhrithi, two, were just feet away from the phone as it began to burn in the night due to an electrical fault in the charger

SHOCKED: Babita Thukral, and her two children, one-year-old Varun, and Bhrithi, two, were just feet away from the phone as it began to burn in the night due to an electrical fault in the charger

Four generations of one Leeds family are ‘fighting for justice’ after an electrical fault in one of their mobile devices almost had disastrous consequences.

On Sunday 9th March, 30-year-old Roundhay resident, Sanjay Thukral, awoke in the early hours to the smell of burning electrics.

The father of two had set his alarm on his Samsung S4 to 4.30am, yet when it went off, he was also greeted by the unusual smell.

As he approached the phone to turn off the alarm, Mr Thukral, who sleeps in the same room as his two infant children, saw that the charger had begun to melt inside the phones charging slot and burn through the plastic case.

After forcing the wire out, burn damage to the phone was evident.

“It was such a shocking, scary thing to see that I didn’t even know what to do at first,” Mr Thukral said.

DAMAGE: The Samsung S4’s case was burnt whilst the charging cable had begun to almost melt inside the phone which could have led to the battery setting on fire

DAMAGE: The Samsung S4’s case was burnt whilst the charging cable had begun to almost melt inside the phone which could have led to the battery setting on fire

“I turned the charger off at the mains and then pulled the cable out and could clearly see the damage it had begun to do on the phone.

“Only a couple of weeks ago did we here of the family in Sheffield whose home burned down resulting in three generations losing their lives. This incident was scarily similar and who knows what would have happened had the alarm not gone off.”

The alarm had been set for 4.30am as it is every weekday that Mr Thukral works. He believes that if the incident had of happened over the weekend, the result would have been a lot worse.

He continued: “Thankfully it did still wake me up but the stress it put on me and my wife over the next couple of days was huge.

“We could have been killed. My grandmother who lives downstairs has a mental disability so helping her get out of the home due to a fire would have been extremely difficult.

“I have had nightmares reliving the situation and imagining what could have happened. It feels like you just can’t trust technology anymore.

FAMILY: Savita Thukral (back right) pictured with her daughter-in-law and granddaughters, says four generations of the same family could have died had it not been a weekday

FAMILY: Savita Thukral (back right) pictured with her daughter-in-law and granddaughters, says four generations of the same family could have died had it not been a weekday

“We now only charge our phones when we are awake and have had to invest in new electrics to hopefully prevent anything like this happening again.”

The Leeds residence, which currently homes eight members from four generations of the same family, aged between one and 71, had no further damage caused to it.

Initially, following the incident, Mr Thukral and his wife, Babita, were offered £32.99 in compensation to replace the damaged phone case yet Mr Thukral argues that this is simply not enough.

“The stress and worry this has put on our family, with no fault of our own, has been huge,” he said.

“We are now talking to solicitors about taking this case further as the compensation we were offered was simply embarrassing to say our house could have burned down.”
samsung burnt charger
Footage of the damage caused to the phone has been uploaded to YouTube and has already received almost 1,000 views.

Samsung where unvailable for comment at time of print.

Share this:
Share

Leave a Comment

wpDiscuz